Saturday, May 29, 2010

I crave you undiluted

The other day I was listening to Skillet on my iPod while I was working when I heard the line "I crave you undiluted". When I heard the line I was completely taken aback by it. It is such a cool thought and one of those things that really makes you stop and think about what you should do with that. At the end of the day I did my normal routine of climbing and coming back I saw a beautiful sunset that reminded me again of those lyrics. I looked out on the beautiful colors swirling above the horizon. The thousands of shades of red and pink and orange mingled with spots of blue and purple. Then I began thinking of the one who created all that; He is the one that is drunk with love for me yet do I really crave Him undiluted?




Craving God is not something I would describe as a daily occurence for me. I mean sure there are days where I am on fire for God and absolutely content within His presence. There are other days where I am desperate to be next to Him and to feel Him near me, but to say that I crave God everyday would most likely be a lie. How can we possibly go from realizing that God created this beautiful creation to not even thinking about Him? We seem to be such a fickle people where we desire God one second and with the same breath we think only about ourselves.

The thing is, there is no wonder that we are like this. Yes it has to do with our sinful nature but its more than that. We put these characteristics on God that take away from His character. We look at Him as this judge who keeps us in check. All of us are aware that Jesus died for us once and for all but secretly we are convinced that we are unclean and unable to come before Him. We've heard of God's love yet we diminish it to a shallow conditional love. We are made free from sin and death by the blood of Christ but are quick to condemn each other for our shortcomings. Our misconceptions and human logic have trapped God in a dogmatic set of rules that have lost the original purpose of the Gospel. We almost get bored with God. The one who created joy, excitement and passion is the same one that we get bored with. We have defined God's character as fitting into a certain mold and thus we get burnt out or simply disinterested. We miss the beauty of Christ and the illogical and reckless Grace given to us by God the Father. We should be shouting from the rooftops God's praises. The sun torches the sky in the evenings and mornings to praise God's name. All of creation is shouting together because they don't attach things to God. They are always reminded of the fact that God has given us breath. If we are to follow Christ then we must first learn to separate what we have been told and what is true about God. We must not settle for a diluted, blurry view of God. We must crave God undiluted.


No comments:

Post a Comment