Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Content?

I typically would describe myself as content in what God has given me. I was challenged recently however to really look at that and see if I'm content because God is in my life and has filled all my needs or if I'm content because I have all the things that I need. I was in D.C. recently and was overwhelmed by the homelessness there. They were in utter despair everywhere I went. It was a cold night and they were bundled up in the doorways trying to stay warm in the midst of one of the coldest nights of the week. I gave what I could but it was clearly not enough. I couldn't imagine what they must go through being in this cold every day from not having a warm bed to being unable to getting a hot shower and curling up on the couch for the night. It was just a humble experience and made me thankful for what I have.

Just a few days later I was back at the Ranch and was about to take a shower when I realized that we had no running water. I was a little stunned at first not having something that I've had for so long. As the day wore on, the inability to have running water began to annoy me tremendously. I was upset that I had to go without a shower and had to search all around the ranch just for a working bathroom. It wasn't more than a week since I had been in D.C. surrounded by the homeless there and in just over a week I'll be on my way to Ethiopia, the second poorest country in the world where most people there have no access to a bathroom and certainly not running water. I was relieved later that night when the water was fixed and I was saved from this annoyance.

The next morning we discussed Phillipians 4:10-19 where Paul is talking to the church at Phillipi about how he is able to be content in his circumstances and to be able to feel hunger and plenty and remain content in Christ regardless. It was a definite shock to my system. I was left thinking about how my peace rested on the comforts that I take for granted. I don't think I had ever thought about not having certain luxuries before. The good thing about this however is that it afforded me the opportunity to reflect upon it and change the true foundations of my peace so that I can truly be content in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment