Monday, December 28, 2009

Pharisee

The other day I had one of the best conversations I've had with anyone in a long time. In talking with my friend we talked a lot about spirituality and some pretty weighty subjects. Something kind of hit me during the conversation that really struck a chord with what I was feeling the few weeks leading up to that. I had been like a Pharisee from the New Testament. In my dealings with other Christians I often think to myself how much more spiritual I am than them or how I'm more disciplined or mature in certain areas than them. This arrogance and pride is the furthest thing from what God desires. Its the same arrogance that spurred Jesus on to make statements against them like they are a brood of vipers. Despite the fact that they followed the law and were not among the "sinners" they were the ones criticized by Christ and harshly admonished by Him.

In addition to this I often find myself getting mad at those who claim that there is no God. Instead of looking at them with compassion as Christ did, I look at them with scorn. I don't take the time to relate the gospel to them I merely counter their arguments and ridicule them for their unbelief, while I sit on my throne of self-righteousness. If my words are merely telling others that they are wrong then I'm not conveying the gospel at all. We must share the Truth with Grace or else we just simply become like the Pharisees and look down on those who do no believe or we become defensive and back into our own shelters or Christian bubbles. We must not be ashamed of the Gospel. If we look upon the world with scorn then we are still not looking on it the way Christ looks at it. He sees the corruption and the brokenness of the world and has compassion and feels sorrow. We should do the same. We should be in constant prayer to soften the hearts of those who do no believe. Our actions should be filled with compassion and Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment