Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Behold His Glory

A few months ago, I had the incredible privilege of going to Banff in Alberta, Canada.  While there, I was left in a constant state of breathlessness.  There are truly no words to describe the majesty of the Canadian rockies, no poems to do them justice, and pictures capture but a sliver of their splendor.  While there, I felt a sense of guilt for having the experience knowing that no matter what I tried or how eloquent I was, I could never communicate the majesty of it all to anyone else.  If you've ever read my blog, you know that I like to use experiences from my life to communicate truths about God that I'm learning.  When I first went to Banff, I thought there would be plenty for me to write about, but within moments of arriving, I was laid low and rendered speechless by the majesty.  I struggled for the first few days to put anything to paper because all I could do was say in a hushed whisper, "wow."  It became difficult, because I knew there had to be some kind of insight that God was teaching me, some word of wisdom that I could share with others, but I couldn't put my finger on it.  It is perhaps for that exact reason, that I was unable to see what God was trying to say to me.

The last couple years I have been working hard in Seminary and learning so much.  One of my greatest struggles has actually been getting so wrapped up in intellectual ideas that I become disconnected with the majesty of God.  In my pursuit of knowledge about God, his awesome splendor is often hidden from my gaze.  While in Banff, I realized how deeply that struggle had become ingrained within me.  In his mercy, God placed me in a location where all I could do was remain in a constant state of amazement.  The longer I sat among the awe-inspiring mountains the more I began to realize that this is the stance that I need to take with God.  There is certainly nothing wrong with insights about God or being engaged in intellectually stimulating conversations about theology, but we must return to this splendor time and time again.  For it is the majesty and glory of God that gives us breath and purpose, that gives us courage and strength, and brings that ever necessary state of humility.  Jesus pointed to this countless times and before leaving his disciples, he again pointed to the power and majesty of God.  Paul constantly got caught up with the glory of God as he wrote and found himself incapable of doing anything but praise God.  You see insights can be great and can light a fire inside you, but it never replaces the awe and wonder of God.  May we constantly put ourselves before Him and simply let His splendor wash over us.


2 comments:

  1. I have felt this greatly with seminary in general. Especially being in a Reformed school academics is prized greatly. I have been quite honest with friends and my senior pastor that I could never do seminary full time. Not because I am not smart enough but because I can't handle all the head knowledge. Even when I take 2 classes I can find myself drowning in intellectual thought and forsaking the simple aspects of faith and love.

    Though I feel education is important (or I wouldn't continue doing it) but it is basking in His glory, His love through His Son and His greatness that can teach us plenty about our great God. Hope you are doing well man!
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Chris! It can be so easy to get entranced by ideas about God, because they are amazing, but indeed they are only a shadow of his true glory which can only be found at his feet. We should definitely try to catch up some time. I'd love to hear about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete