Thursday, December 16, 2010

Winter

I've had trouble writing lately, I have been distracted it seems, or simply uninspired. It could have something to do with the approaching season. We are currently on our way to winter, a season that many people loathe. I can certainly understand why. The other day, while driving, I noticed how bleak and dismal everything looked. The trees were all without leaves, the grass was dying off, even the clouds were not their normal bubbly selves having been replaced by sheets of gray. Whenever I visit my grandparents in Ocean City during the holidays I'm amazed at the scenes. The parking lots normally filled with cars and shoppers is now vacant and utterly deserted. The boardwalk, normally teaming with life and the air filled with the smell of french fries and fudge, is left like a ghost town with signs in the windows saying closed for the winter. It is no wonder that people get depressed or get cabin fever during the winter. It is in complete contrast with all of the other seasons.

If we're honest with ourselves we can acknowledge that we have seasons in our spiritual lives. there are times in our lives where we are bursting forth with fruit and when our growth is evident in all that we do. Other times in our lives we are filled with joy and wonder at new experiences. Still there are other times where we simply shine in our own unique ways and are simply content. Yet we all have our winter seasons. They may seem filled with little spiritual growth, if any. It may be hard to pray or your spiritual disciplines may seem like a chore. I know in my life whenever I hit these points I often wonder how did I get here and why am I here. The other day however I began thinking about it more. Sure winter can be one of those seasons where people are just ready to be done with, but there is such beauty in it.


During the winter, depending on where you live, you get to see snow begin to fall. It lays down this beautiful white blanket of snowflakes, whose intricate design can only be described as an artistic masterpiece. As the snow melts it creates icicles that hang like chandeliers all around. The gentle dripping keeps time allowing us to slow down and enjoy the splendor of it. No other season allows for this kind of beauty. No other time can you experience it. It also rings in true in our spiritual lives. When we are in the winter of our spiritual lives, we should look at it as an opportunity to experience and see a beauty that we can't see the other times. We get to see God work through our weakness, we have the chance to get a better assessment of our relationship with God. During the other seasons, it can be easy to be close to God. They are often marked by our spiritual growth and excitement. In the winter of our spiritual life, however, we may feel distant from God which He allows so that we can truly investigate our relationship with Him. He gives us the opportunity to step back and just admire the beauty of it. When you are in a spiritual winter, take that time to slow down, investigate what God is trying to teach you.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ryan. I've been going through a winter spiritually myself...thanks for the change of perspective. God is definitely showing me my weaknesses and proving powerful through them. You should come see the play I'm in at Covenant...it's sometime in the Spring. Andy and I are planning on coming up to the RVR reunion! Hope to see you there!
    In Him,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete